Thursday 22 March 2012

V-26: Playing with bedroom decoration

Some more Pinterest boards from me again today, this time for the bedroom.

As I mentioned yesterday, our current bedroom is purple themed. We have white furniture, a metal bedhead and purple everything else. I love it, I love the purple, but I'm not sure I want to have a purple living room AND a purple bedroom. I might look a little obsessed or something.

One of the problems with the bedroom is that The Beard and I don't seem to be able to find bed covers that we both like. This may not seem like a particularly important thing, we're only talking about bed covers right? Well yes and no. I think bedroom decoration is incredibly important. You sleep in the bedroom. Which means that what you put in there is the first thing you see in the morning, and the last thing you see at night. So it should be comfortable and put you at ease. And noone wants to be angsty in their bed, you don't want to kill your mojo!!

So again, we like dark furniture. I think we're both a bit of a sucker for it. Clean lines though, nothing too fancy (ok, I'd ideally love a gothic vault of a bedroom with fancy finials on everything and curly bits and stuff, but that isn't going to happen anytime soon, certainly not in this flat!). Because we have built in wardrobes that are a very neutral colour we can put anything with them, and there isn't a need for much furniture.

So, bearing all that in mind...

Bedroom Option 1: The Red Option

Back to trusty red... The duvet covers have a fine detail red pattern on. Nothing too in your face, but just enough to lift the covers I think. I quite like the traditional feel to them. I'm not entirely sure about the red accents - I do like the idea of red in the bedroom, but I'd have to see all the elements together to make sure they were the same shades of red. If they're not, then it will be off and it will irritate me!! This could be made more neutral by the removal of the bedspread, changing the curtains to beige and/or changing the under pillows to white.

Bedroom Option 2: The Beige Option

I really quite like this option. I wasn't sure at first, but every time I look at it I warm to it. I think it is because again, it provides a neutral base for some of my existing knick knacks and artwork. It feels quite calm and soothing as well. And, I can dress it up with cushions and some form of throw.

Bedroom Option 3: The More Gothic Option

 I think I like this one most. It is very simple, very black, but oh so me. Whether it is oh so The Beard is another matter, and the bed is a bit of a tricky one. The room is wide enough to accommodate it but will the footboard make it feel more closed in? And will having a bigger bed mean that a footboard won't cause the very tall Beard a problem? Again, this option is quite a neutral one, just not as light as Option 2.

Bedroom Option 4: More Purple

What can I say, I like purple. I'm not sure I'm convinced by this option, for a variety of reasons, not least that part of the whole moving country thing is to do with new starts, and this feels like a replica of what we have at the moment. 

I can't really decide if I'm honest. The bedroom may be one room which I need to leave to evolve organically. Either that or I'll just go back to purple again!

Any thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. Black black black! But make sure you use cream instead of white as an accent to make it look a bit older and more vintagey. Yes.

    ReplyDelete